07 March 2007

Cultural Sensitivities

Lately I've had an opportunity to interact with all sort of different people. From my experiences I have learned that not everybody has a sense of humor. Not everybody understands my sense of humor. In fact, precious few actually 'get' what I say. That is just depressing. And, NO it is not a cultural thing. This spans cultures, ethinicities, and sexual orientation. Oh well I guess I'm just destined to be misunderstood.

My job has me doing a lot of field work in places I never thought I would ever visit. Last night was a presentation and testing at rehab in the middle of nowhere. There were eighty men six months into an eighteen month in-patient treatment schedule. It was interesting. Okay, it was other things than just interesting. It was a learning experience. There were all types of men there: professionals, minorities, guys that just seemed down on their luck. There was boy that had just turned 18.

After the initial education presentation, there was a private and confidential one-on-one. The stories were just heartbreaking, but ultimately they all had realized that they needed help and they had found their way to this treatment center in the woods ( which does not have many outside lights. A difficult time was had in getting back to the car.)

I also learned that the guys at my old school are more conservative than the girls. Frat boys that came in talking the talk, obviously didn't walk the walk. I know no judgement, but hey I'm still learning. And NO I'm not stereotyping...gah...you should hear what they talk about when waiting for a test. Disgusting. Collecting data and whatnot. Health Fairs are the best for collecting data and learning about the human condtion. *g*

Tomorrow night: Health Fair at a charter school. This should be fun.

And speaking of culture and background and experience how does one plan a successful wedding that incorporates aspects from different cultures? Is it a good idea have friends and family from different cultures at the actual wedding ceremony or should they just be invited to the reception? What about all of the pre-wedding ceremonies? Should there be programs with descriptions of the ceremonies? Or am I just over-thinking this? Eesh!

Also, I think my gaydar's broken.

Until next time

No comments: