02 March 2006

How could I forget

So I completely forgot to talk about the best part of the history museum. They have on loan from the Smithsonian the Gemini Capsule!!! When I saw the exhibit I almost...almost...jumped up and down like a little kid. The capsule itself was so small. It was smaller than the front seats of an average car. Not only that, but two grown men were strapped in it for weeks at a time. I couldn't contain my awe. There were so many buttons and switches. I know I was talking to myself by the time I finished with the exhibit.
The age of space exploration would never have happened or would have been slow to come had it not been for the space race and the subsequent missions such as the Apollo mission that got the US to the moon. Check out the online exhibits to the at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.
In my opinion the rest of the museum paled in comparison. I even bought little astronaut figures from the gift shop...hee hee hee.
sam

No comments: