09 April 2006

AOL has recently added In2TV to its services. It offers old tv shows, new movie trailers, and current music videos as well as recent tv clips. The concept of tv on the internet, free and legal tv on the internet, was intriguing; so I decided to check it out. If you want to watch in hi-def you need to install a plug-in and then things are very clear. You can't rewind or forward with the tv shows that you download, but that's okay because the shows they offer are those that I have loved since childhood.

They have cartoons like Histeria and Pinky and the Brain as well as old sitcoms, sci-fi, action adventure, and dramas. As I explored I had this sinking feeling of an obsession forming...drat!
They had nine episodes of one of my favorite shows, Scarecrow and Mrs. King!

I think I first started to watch on reruns, and looking back I don't think I actually understood all that was going on. I just knew that I really liked the idea of spies and good guys against the bad guys. I loved that Mrs. King was a normal person and wasn't cowed by the whole business of espionage, much to Scarecrow's chagrin.

Scarecrow aka Lee Stetson, what a cheesy name, but suitable for a world class spy. Hee! As I rewatched episodes I realized how completely hilarious the dialogue was. I laughed all the way through the pilot. After years of watching very good comedy on tv and honing my taste to what is funny and what is merely mundane or a lame attempt at comedy, I found myself greatly entertained by SCAMK. The delivery and use of dialogue measures up to what I find funny today, which for a show that many consider campy is odd.

The show often seems to poke fun at itself and Bruce Boxleitner and Kate Jackson seem to be having so much fun in their roles. It's as if they know that the show gets cheesy, but all they want to do is to entertain you.

I find that I still love this show which is set in a time similar to ours, we were at war then too. The Cold War, where the bad guys were Russians that could look a lot like us, but have no fear our land was protected by likes of the world-class spy Scarecrow and his partner super mom, Mrs. Amanda King.

I hope they add more eps.

No comments: